Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Victory!

I took these two photographs at a Washington State Democratic Convention almost twenty years ago. I hope these men are still alive to see the birth of a new nation, one where race is no longer a barrier to becoming President. The change that has taken place with the growth of voter participation and the recognition of the changing demographics of America offers hope.

I didn't sit home and watch all of the election coverage though. I spent the evening reading Lazarsfeld's article about Media and Mass while my son participated in his Boy Scout meeting. I watched the beginning of the meeting and was a little concerned about my son because he was refusing to put on his neckerchief and to remove his jacket. He wasn't being belligerent, just different from all of the other boys in their neat uniforms. Ian just doesn't conform. He had fun though and the end of the meeting was very loud with lots of play. On the way home he asked me "how come everyone in the troop is against Obama and wanting McCain?" The boy who was the leader of the troop had even made a comment "Everyone who supports Obama thinks he's Jesus and he's not!"

This seemed like the perfect example of how the social structure of Boy Scouts has a uniform belief in conservative politics. Why wouldn't they since they exclude women? Mass Media coverage of the election could not change the predisposition of the group towards Obama. I was proud of my son's ability to stand against the "group think" and to share his support of Obama. Suddenly, his nonconforming attitude towards a dress code in the troop gave me a sense of pride. Perhaps Ian could become an opinion leader within the troop and help the other boys to grow a more rounded perspective on the world. There is a lot of good traits within the Boy Scouts, and more than a few that are not as evolved. I could have kept Ian out of scouting all together since we go hiking and camping enough on our own. But I don't think isolating ourselves is the answer. I think the real work in society is to embrace differences and participate in reshaping opinions. I think Ian is capable of doing this in his participation in the group on his own terms. In Obama and my son I see hope...

No comments: